Facebook boasts having over 1.32 billion monthly active users and this is certainly something for Mark Zuckerberg to celebrate! People use Facebook, in order to interact with each other, share their thoughts and their likes or dislikes, find forgotten classmates and their old neighbors, who they have been thinking of but could never get in touch with. Still, in such a gigantic platform there are severe dangers that everyone should be well aware of.
Facebook includes some privacy settings, which require your attention towards getting the privacy that you are entitled to. Since the web is overwhelmed by people who you do not know and whose intentions you are in no way of knowing in advance, it is crucial that you understand how to handle the various privacy settings. In this way, you can still have fun virtually on Facebook and at the same time not jeopardize anything that is way too personal to be found online. How about checking through the top 5 tips for Facebook privacy, so as to be safe and not sorry at all?
Who Can See Your Profile
One of the essential Facebook privacy tips is for you to customize who are going to look at your profile online. It is just like closing the curtains or even the blinds, so as to prevent anyone from outside looking in. If they are harmless, they might as well knock the door! Snooping and peeking is not polite and plus it can lead to trouble. So, let’s find out how we can proceed with the change of excluding everyone outside your friends from seeing your profile:
- First, you sign in and you head to the top right menu bar on Facebook. This is where you will find an arrow facing down. This is where you click on Settings.
- You are now at the General Account Settings and from then on you click on Privacy.
- There is a category referred to as “Who Can See My Stuff” that you can access for changing your audience. If you see that Public is checked, your profile is visible to everybody on Facebook. In order to change that, click on the future posts and make sure that you choose wisely. You can choose Friends or Only You or even have the category customized personally for you.
If you are determined to do the same thing for your old posts as well, there is the option of limiting the audience of old posts right below. Once you click on that, the same applies to all the posts of yours on Facebook!
Who Can Contact You
If you are serious about learning the ropes on how to set Facebook privacy properly, you need to deal with the people who can contact you. This is interesting, since the default option on Facebook allows friends and people who may know you to proceed with sending you a message. Should you want to change that, the route is simple and yet effective!
- Using the same path as above, you access the Privacy on your Account Settings.
- “Who Can Contact Me” is the question that you need to answer. You can either choose to have everyone contacting you at their liking or limit this down to friends of friends.
- There is an additional aspect of who is free to send you a message at your inbox. The basic filtering includes friends and acquaintances, while there is a strict filtering that you can select instead!
Who Can Discover Your Profile
If you are worried about strangers looking you up on Facebook and learning the skeletons that you might be keeping in your closet, it is high time you did something about it! Fortunately enough, Facebook can help you keep your personal information to yourself or to the group of people who you wish to share with. How can this be? Take a look:
- Once again, you get to the Privacy option of your Account Settings.
- There is a question that states “Who Can Look Me Up?” that you ought to spot. Using either your email address or your phone number, the default option for looking you up is not that limited. You, on the other hand, can be stricter than the default and only permit friends or friends of your friends to discover your profile.
- Finally, there is the option of linking other search engines to your timeline. It is in your hands to decide whether this is a prudent idea or not.
Who Can See Your Posts
Whenever you wish to publish something on Facebook, there is the flexibility on your behalf to determine who will be able to see that post. If you start writing a post and you notice at the bottom right corner, you will see the globe and the word “Public” by default. If you click on that, you will realize that you can change the audience of yours and thus keep the post among your friends or a specific group or even keep it to yourself. The people who can see your posts can change at your preference, meaning that each and every single post can be made visible to a different target group at a time.
Third Party Applications
It can be haunting to know that there are partner websites on Facebook that can make use of your personal information, even if you have not directly authorized such actions. This is why you need to be on alert and take thorough control of Facebook privacy hacks. In order to prevent other sites to share info with Facebook and therefore in order for you to keep all your details private, you ought to follow the guidelines below:
- You access your Account and then Settings, so as to be displayed the main menu.
- This is where you need to click on Apps, so as to get to the App Settings.
- In case Instant Personalization has been checked and thus enabled, please uncheck it at once. This will keep you safe from the privacy loops and it will help you out with the access control issues that you may have been dealing with.
- If you are particularly interested in logging out from an app and removing it altogether, you can do it from the list above. You click on the application and you choose to remove it. This way, nobody is ever going to bother you again on Facebook with things you do not want to!
These have been the best tips on how to set Facebook privacy to the level that you deserve and now it is up to you to make all these tips come true! The web is yours to enjoy and so is the power of social media. Still, there is nothing stopping you from taking all the necessary precautions towards optimizing your user experience, without having to compromise your overall security in return!
Latest posts by Stella Strouvali (see all)
- Use a Gaming VPN for Maximum Gaming Pleasure - 31 May 2016 4:48 PM
- The best browser extensions for top-notch privacy online - 30 May 2016 10:12 AM
- How to Save Money on Airline Flights Tickets with a VPN - 28 May 2016 9:49 AM