There is nothing more distressing than knowing that you can enjoy something that is within your reach, but you cannot do so due to some sort of restriction. The same applies to Internet censorship, which comes in a lot of different forms. Still, it does the same amount of bad to everyone. No matter if someone has forbidden access to specific websites at school, at work or generally in your country, the feeling remains the same and the bitter taste is not so easily erased.
Fortunately enough, in most countries the phenomenon of Internet censorship is pretty much controlled and limited. Of course, nobody can force businesses or educational institutions to allow unrestricted access to the web. There is a lot at stake there and this is somehow justifiable. What is not justifiable though is the Internet censorship applied by countries, in their attempt to monitor the influences of their people and their communication with the rest of the world.
The Middle East consists of countries that are not that well known for their freedom of speech or other fundamental rights altogether. Due to the religious beliefs and the patriarchy that is spread all over the region of the Middle East, society can be truly oppressing. All at once, the authoritarian regimes and the single party governments can lead to strict measurements taken, in the form of precautions against the instability of the current situation in these countries.
As a result, Internet censorship is heavy and people living in the area are forced to settle for the lack of the same freedom that one can find in other places of the globe. Is this really the case? What is Internet censorship and is it something that one should take for granted when being in the Middle East, either for work or for pleasure? We think not and we welcome you to find out how you can lift any Internet censorship regardless of the location you are in. So, join us!
Overcoming Internet Censorship in the Middle East
We have stated above that every rose has its thorn and therefore the beauty and exotic nature of the Middle East comes packed with heavy Internet censorship. In a form of an example, UAE Internet censorship targets pornography and governmental criticism. Nevertheless, sometimes it goes without even saying that the restrictions appear even more broadened than what they claim to be.
On the bright side, there are several things that one can do towards fighting off censoring the Internet. Let’s have a closer look at the major ways for you to make use of, in order to get similar results and eventually surf the Internet without any hesitation, fear or obstruction:
- Proxy: A proxy is a precious tool that filters your Internet traffic, ensuring that you are kept anonymous all the time. All the websites that you wish to visit will be now accessible to you, without any restrictions and without any fear of being arrested or penalized for engaging in suspicious activities. And best of all, this is offered for free – most of the times.
- VPN: Moving on, the use of a VPN account is the most reliable weapon that you have, so as to overcome the boundaries and avoid Internet censorship in all its sizes and shapes. By tunneling the data of yours, you can rest assured that nobody is ever going to acquire your true IP address. Instead, you will select the VPN server you want to use for connecting to the web, getting the respective IP. Finally, encryption is always there for you while surfing the Internet and thus keeps you even safer.
- DNS: When you choose to use DNS service, you overcome any limitation that has been placed to your local network. Without any setup requirement and with its immediate impact, this is a novice-friendly solution. Within flashes of moments, you will have accessed any website internationally. However, the lack of encryption can be a problem.
- Tor Proxy: Tor is a digital onion, because it has been designed in such a way to provide layers of protection to the users. This is why its name is none other than The Onion Router. This service is open source, which means that it is free to the public. Still, no encryption is offered with Tor and consequently you settle for the lift of restrictions based on your geographical location.
- SSH Tunnel: SSH Tunnel is the final solution for accessing websites and content without any restriction. The best thing about it is that it provides encryption, meaning that you get an extra layer of security online. On the other hand, its functionality is rather limited and this is why it is not such widespread as an option for serving its purpose.
Best Method of Them All
All the methods that have been included within our list are efficient and aim at taking a stand against the censorship of the Internet. However, if we were obliged to pick just one method of them, there would be no hesitation or second guessing whatsoever.
The VPN is a complete system that not only helps you overcome any restriction applied by the Government or anyone else, but it strengthens your privacy and weakens hackers, snoopers, prying eyes and any other threat via encryption. So, given the fact that the Middle East is not the safest place for experiencing freedom, you should think twice and make sure that you have taken all the necessary precautions beforehand.
Having reached the end, we hope that we have enlightened you as to how you can bypass Internet censorship in the troubled territory of the Middle East. Check with us and share your comments, so as to inform us on which method has suited you the most!
Top-right Image: By Colomet / Wikipedia (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1-12_Middle_East_Green-Grey.png)
Latest posts by Ali Qamar (see all)
- Instant Messaging and Threats Related to Identity Theft Online - 15 June 2016 8:25 AM
- Mark Zuckerberg Accounts’ Hacks Reveal a Fundamental Security Error - 10 June 2016 11:06 AM
- Russian Apps Raise Concerns over Privacy - 8 June 2016 10:15 AM