There are quite many different reasons why an Internet user would be forced to confront with Internet censorship. Governments wish to apply restrictions, because this will lead to deeper control of what goes in and out of the country. In addition, with Internet censorship the public opinion is much more easily influenced by what the authorities want.
Besides the aspect of authoritarian regimes, though, there are cases of Internet censorship applied to educational institutions and workplaces. Whether you are at school or at the office, there are many restrictions that can obstruct you from accessing a specific website. Apart from all that, Internet censorship can be the aftermath of copyrights. Video streaming services are only available to certain countries and the rest of the world is not privileged with free access to such content.
Vietnam is a country of Indochina and can take pride in its fast growing economy. According to statistics, Vietnam appears significant progress rates year after year – however, this has not swept off economical inequalities among people. As a single-party state related to Communism and drawn by its basic principles, Vietnam is not open to a lot of what some other countries take for granted.
As you can see on the official website of Reporters Without Borders, life can be pretty difficult when trying to think outside the box in places like Vietnam. Bypassing Internet censorship in Vietnam is a major issue, due to the fact that there are many restrictions found on the extremely useful tool of the web. So, below we are going to highlight how you can facilitate your Internet experience even in the most hostile environment.
Methods Used for Overcoming Internet Censorship
There is not a single method used internationally for accessing restricted websites and communicating with the rest of the world. Let’s see how you can enjoy the Internet, since you will be able to bypass sites’ restrictions:
- Proxy: A proxy server acts exactly like a middle man and therefore tunnels your Internet requests, so as for you to remain anonymous and out of reach. The proxy will help you to stay off the radar and at the same time gain access to websites that were not available for you in Vietnam before. For instance, you can now visit all kinds of video streaming services (e.g. Netflix and Hulu Plus) or communicate via VoIP or even socialize without having to think twice of who is watching over your shoulder.
- VPN: The VPN (virtual private network) is able to provide a safe passing for you, in order to lift any restrictions whatsoever and access forbidden content digitally. Its name actually means Virtual Private Network and it filters the data you send, masking your IP and ensuring your anonymity at all times. You can choose which IP origin you will get at a time and the cool part about VPN is that it uses advanced encryption and security protocols that shield you even more.
- DNS: Another option on how to bypass any Internet restriction is that of DNS. When using third party DNS servers, you get the opportunity to lift the restriction that has been applied to your local network. In this case, regardless of the restrictions from Vietnam, you will still get the chance to access websites that are not permitted in the country. It is easy to use DNS by taking SmartDNS route and does not require much effort, but no extra shield is offered.
- Tor: If you are looking for free software that is open source and helps you overcome the obstructions of the Vietnamese Government (or anyone else for that matter), Tor is the solution for you to consider. Otherwise known as The Onion Router (due to its various security layers that resemble an onion), this service offers you a way out of the Internet censorship in Vietnam promptly and efficiently – without any encryption, though.
- SSH Tunnel: Last but not least, there is the alternative of using SSH Tunnel and gain the precious access to all websites internationally. This is also encrypted and provides a safe pathway for your traffic. It is simple to use and it can serve you well, but it is rather limited when compared to more advanced solutions of the same context.
Which Method Should I Choose?
We have outlined the methods that are widely used, in order to fulfill one’s hopes and dreams about a universe that is censorship-free. Of course, all these methods have got the same goal and pretty much the same function. Nevertheless, they appear significant differences and not all of them provide equal security layering. It is up to you to weigh their pros and cons and then decide as to which solution best suits your needs. They are all reliable options that will result in bypassing Internet censorship everywhere.
If we had to choose among these options, this would most likely be using VPN account. This service provides an integrated solution and not only lifts the restrictions applied by the Vietnamese, but also offers anonymity through the encryption process that it includes. There are many VPN service providers in the market for you to test out, if you conclude as to the solid nature of VPN that exceeds all other alternatives. Again, it is up to you to decide and even experiment.
So, feel free to apply our guidelines on how you can bypass Internet censorship in Vietnam and be sure to let us know how it went for you. Good luck!
Top-right Image: By anticensorship / Deviantart (https://anticensorship.deviantart.com/art/No-To-Internet-Censorship-123077194)
Latest posts by Stella Strouvali (see all)
- Use a Gaming VPN for Maximum Gaming Pleasure - 31 May 2016 4:48 PM
- The best browser extensions for top-notch privacy online - 30 May 2016 10:12 AM
- How to Save Money on Airline Flights Tickets with a VPN - 28 May 2016 9:49 AM