We all use mobile phones, as they have justifiably been regarded as one of the top breakthroughs of the past few decades. Whether you use your phone for contacting your friends on the go or checking your email, updating your social media status online or enabling sophisticated apps like GPS, the advanced technology behind phones has managed to offer cool features and unsurpassed convenience. This is why people all over the world trust phones and especially smartphones (running on iOS, Android etc.) and they are most likely to continue on doing so in the future.
However, the need to invade people’s privacy has led to the establishment of spy software for phones. This has become a frequent phenomenon globally, particularly in cases where there is reason for doubt. There are many times when we wish we could listen to someone else’s conversation and find out what they are talking about or we could read online correspondence for identifying any red flags. Still, it is a different thing to wish something and to put it into effect. Judging by the increasing popularity of phone spy software, though, many people decide to act and not settle for wishful thinking.
Below, we are going to address the problem and learn how we can detect, as well as remove such threats from our cell phone. This will enable you to enhance your overall mobile security and it will keep you safe, safeguarding your privacy. So, let’s get started!
How to Detect Possible Phone Spy Software?
Here is what you need to pay attention to, in order to identify that you are being spied on without any delay. Of course, it is needless to point out that these are just indications and that having them in the form of a sign is not always a case of spying attempts against you. Off we go:
- Significant Battery Loss: If you realize that the battery of your phone is drained a lot sooner than it used to, this might be a sign of spy programs. Apparently, there are quite a few other reasons causing such battery drainage (like unnecessary apps installed or even device inadequacy). However, particularly older software alternatives in spy services were responsible for battery running out too soon.
- Noise during Calls: The connection during your calls can be really bad at times. Still, if you always listen to strange noises when you receive calls or when you phone yourself, you can be a victim of someone spying on you. This happens as many programs establish a sort of conference calls for getting to your data.
- Automatic Shutdown and Start: If your phone starts or shuts down on its own automatically, without any adjustment made on your behalf, you should start worrying. This can be a sign of being spied on, especially if it happens all the time.
- Too High Data Usage: If you see that you use strangely high data on a regular basis, then your phone might have been compromised. So, it is worth checking it out and seeing whether you have got unwanted apps running without your knowledge.
- Peculiar SMS Texts: Have you ever received a strange SMS text? If this happens a lot and if the texts you get do not include words, rather than symbols and numbers, you may have someone spying on you!
Check Settings: Go to Settings – Applications – Manage Applications or Running Services and see whether or not there are any strange apps running. If you are lucky, you will read something including spy or stealth or monitor etc. Apparently, this is a method that only those who feel comfortable with technology ought to consider.
Now, What Can Be Done for Removing the Threat?
If you have found evidence of being spied on or if you have got great reason to believe that someone monitors your mobile phone device, it is only fair that you immediately remove the threat. You do not need to worry, as the whole process is not as difficult as it may sound. On the contrary, you will find it easy and smooth, not to mention reliable. Here is what you can do:
- No matter if you are tech-savvy or not, you can go ahead with a factory reset of your phone. This will allow you to get back to the original settings of your phone and it will eliminate all threats. Of course, you should not underestimate the importance of backing up your files. All the data will be lost from your phone and therefore you have to engage in the proper storage of the data you wish to preserve. After that, you can follow the instructions of resetting the factory settings yourself or turn to a professional – the cost is next to non-existent!
- Alternatively, you can update the OS on your phone. This will help you remove the software of the spy app, since every kind of software only works with specific OS. However, you should keep in mind that rooting and jailbreaking will also go away, as soon as you get an updated version of the OS on your phone.
- Last but not least, the people who know their way around technology can dig deeper and check for the software files that include the spy app. Once they do, they can erase the files and remedy their phone. This is a method that can only be completed by technologically literate users, of course!
Keep Your Phone Protected for Good
- Do not forget the Password Lock feature
- Invest some money and get a Password App, such as LastPass
- Get a mobile security App, such as Lookout Mobile Security
Using these precautions, you can increase the security layering on your phone and avoid negative consequences like being spied on!
Top/Featured Image: From N i c o l a / Flickr