Mobile security is definitely a major issue that you need to be kept fully aware of, in avoidance of protection breaches that might jeopardize the privacy and anonymity of yours. In accordance of the ongoing increase in the mobile phone users all over the world, there needs to be the proper data protection for overcoming obstacles of all sorts of breaches and vulnerabilities.
Once you have a look at the report from McAfee Labs as to the overall malware incidents, you will be lost for words at the outstanding number of almost 4,000,000! If you add to this fact the incidents of identity theft and robbing of smartphones and iPhones altogether, you will see how much you risk every single time you are using your phone.
Since we understand that phones are more of a necessity nowadays and that they serve a lot of different purposes, we have gathered different methods for you to keep your phone away from hackers and other hostile activities. So, if you are interested in learning how to avoid hackers and if you are serious about your data protection, you should keep reading and putting these guidelines that we are about to offer you into effect!
Keeping Hackers at Bay and Protecting Your Phones
Fortunately, it is in your hands to keep all these dangers at bay and make sure that you do not risk anything regarding the safety of your phone or your personal information in the long run. Let’s see how you can shield yourself against such demanding situations that emerge in the field of smartphone security altogether:
- Set a Strong Password for Your Phone: We know that it can be really frustrating to be forced to use a password, every time you wish to use your phone. Nevertheless, this will save you from unauthorized access to your phone and this is definitely something that you should not ignore. It is also advisable that you update your password at regular intervals. In this way, you will in no way be subject to unwanted access to your phone. Alternative solutions to the password itself can be the use of a pattern (like a drawing or even fingerprint swipe) or facial contact, prior to being given access to use the phone.
- Only Download Apps from Esteemed, Known Sources: You would not buy a product from a brand that you knew nothing about that easily, would you? Well, it is exactly the same with apps that are available for downloading. You should not trust apps that are absolutely unknown to the public. Another way for you to make sure that you do not face any danger concerning what you download is to check through the reviews and ratings of the apps. If there are not any, this is a red flag for you to consider, before agreeing going ahead with the specific app!
- Enable Tracking Software: If your phone does not have built-in tracking software, you had better download and install such at once. With this helpful tool, you can locate your device as soon as you have lost it and see if it is on the move or not. So, no matter if you have placed it somewhere and you cannot find it or you have been robbed of your device, you can track it down without fail or delay.
- Beware of Permissions from Apps: Many people do not even care about what is written at the description of an app and continue on with the download, without asking themselves if this app allows any unwanted access. This is why you should pay attention to the permissions granted by each and every single app, before actually downloading it. As a result, you will know what your phone accesses and when at all times.
- Do Not Click on Links: One of the most severe cases of hacking can now be caused by clicking on links from emails that aim at intercepting your personal information. Hackers have become more knowledgeable and appear to be valid senders of emails directed to you. So, next time you are sent an email supposedly from your bank and asking of you to send back your personal data or click on a link, be wary of this danger!
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Issues: It is true that most of us make use of our phone while being on the go. This is why using a public Wi-Fi connection or our Bluetooth sounds so tempting! Still, this can be a grave threat against your total security. Public Wi-Fi hotspots are more prone to include online vulnerabilities. Every time you can use your own 3G or 4G connection, it would be lovely! All at once, you should make sure to turn your connection off when you do not actually need it. Even when you use publicly shared connections, minimize your visitation to the websites that are absolutely necessary.
- Keep Up-to-Date with Antivirus etc.: Although some phones are meant to eliminate threats and therefore require no extra protection through additional software, it is always best that you install all the software that adds another layer of security. Hacked smartphones are never appealing, after all! So, feel free to install the latest version of antivirus software and other extras that will keep you safe for good!
- Be Considerate about Rooting: It can be tempting to proceed with rooting your phone and thus allowing it to go further into the potential of its manufacture. However, you need to be truly aware of the dangers that such a decision includes. When rooting your phone, you agree to the lifting of any limitations and at the same time you agree to the elimination of all the boundaries that prevent hackers from accessing the open source software. The choice is yours!
That’s it… These are some simple guidelines that you are welcome to follow, so that you do not lose your sleep over hacking attempts and other problems related to smartphones and iOS running devices. Make sure that you experiment with these guidelines and do not forget to share your thoughts and opinions with us!
Top-right Image: By Kristoferb / Wikipedia (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Motorola_L7.jpg)