A pendrive is perhaps the most popular medium of storing data, due to its convenience and practical nature. However, this is a portable device that is meant to be used to different computers over time and this increases the risk of virus infection. Nobody can argue with the fact that you can benefit a great deal from the use of pendrives.
Nevertheless, there are many people who prefer not to use them or only do so in cases of an emergency. They do not want to compromise the security of their computers, simply by plugging in and out their USB flash drive. So, there is a dilemma as to whether or not the comfort of storing and transferring files and documents is more important than the elimination of any risk emerging from poor security and virus / malware infection.
As we understand that it is truly valuable to have a pendrive and make frequent use of it as a storage medium in general, we have thought it best to inform you on how to remove pendrive virus and keep your medium as neat and safe as possible. Knowledge is the key to success and therefore you are encouraged to learn more on this helpful matter. Let’s find out first what the risk is all about and how the pendrive of yours can be infected.
What is a Virus?
A computer virus is a malware that can affect the performance of any computer, simply by infecting files and parts of the device through replication. It can intercept sensitive data or slow down the performance of your computer, destroy files and even complete spamming. As you can see, an undetected computer virus can be proven truly catastrophic to your overall online security and therefore immediate action needs to be taken against it. Now, let’s have a closer look at how your pendrive can become vulnerable and which the most frequent pathways for getting infected by viruses online are:
How Can a Pendrive get Infected by Viruses?
There are many different ways for a pendrive to get infected by malicious software, as this is a portable device that is supposed to be plugged in to various computers over time. Some of these ways include:
- Infected Computers
- Infected Files and Folders with Corrupted Data
- Unprotected Systems without Antivirus Software
- Untrustworthy Sources for Download
As you can see, the major risk lies beneath the lack of protection and this is what you should consider for focusing on how to prevent viruses on the long run. There are multiple methods that can be used singularly or in cooperation, in order to achieve that and even remove pendrive viruses:
This is a simple and yet effective method that can help you out towards ensuring that no actual threats are going to obstruct your safety and the safety of your pendrive. Below, you can see the steps that need to be taken for activating this method:
- Open CMD
- Open the USB flash drive from the respective folder
- Copy and paste to notepad the following: attrib –s –h /s /d
This method will reveal all the files that are concealed due to viruses.
- Copy and paste to notepad: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
- Make use of the extension .reg for the file storage
- Click on the file that you have just stored
- Choose Yes and Ok at the window that appears before your eyes on the screen
This will allow you not only to protect your pendrive, but also to remove any virus from the pendrive.
- Log in to Windows using your Administrator account
- Right click on the pendrive that you wish to format
- Click on quick format and press the Start button
- Select the NTFS option
- Click Ok and wait
- Click Ok again
This will enable your pendrive to use the NTFS file system.
Applying Permissions Method
After having formatted your pendrive, you should apply this method for permissions:
- Right click on the pendrive
- Click on Properties
- Go to Security
- Click on Edit
- Choose the user and the permissions from the box
- Click on Add for additional users
- Alternatively, remove any user by clicking on remove
- Click Ok and you’re done
As you can see, there are several things that you can do for making sure that your pendrive is secured and does not pose a threat to your computer. For your information, when formatting your pendrive you automatically affect its effectiveness and its life span.
This means that the more times you format your USB flash drive, the more likely it will be for it to stop functioning properly over time. So, think about it and weigh your options. Another thing that is worth mentioning is the fact that you can undo the process of defending your pendrive, using the following:
- Copy and Paste: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlStorageDevicePolicies] “WriteProtect”=dword:00000000
- Use the extension .reg
- Open the file that you have saved
- Click Yes and then Ok
You do not need to forget about using pendrives, just because there are some risks that you take due to the security vulnerabilities. Instead, you should keep on using them with caution; learn how to remove viruses from pendrives and get educated on how you can eliminate the threats over time. This is what will help you overcome the barriers and enjoy the convenience and the benefits deriving from pendrives, without jeopardizing your overall online security!
Latest posts by Stella Strouvali (see all)
- Use a Gaming VPN for Maximum Gaming Pleasure - 31 May 2016 4:48 PM
- The best browser extensions for top-notch privacy online - 30 May 2016 10:12 AM
- How to Save Money on Airline Flights Tickets with a VPN - 28 May 2016 9:49 AM