Does the Heartbleed bug ring a bell, along with a plethora of other security breaches that have been held over the past few months on the web? Even giants such as Microsoft have announced that they have been violated in the field of online security and this is definitely alarming. Hackers become really knowledgeable as to how they can overcome the parameters of safety and how to prevail, when it comes to getting their hands on crucial data to make use of.
A cyberattack is able to trigger remarkably negative consequences, given the fact that all the data stored within a system will be out in the open and vulnerable to exploitation. Gaining personal information and sensitive details from people can serve multiple purposes on the Internet and therefore you should always be on alert! Fortunately, there is a way to minimize, if not eliminate, the risk taken by potential Cyber attacks. Indeed, staying safe from Cyber attacks requires your attention and your full compliance with what is revealed just below.
It is necessary that you keep your PC at the perfect state, if you wish to be carefree and not confront with any Cyber attacks whatsoever. In particular:
- Purchase Genuine OS and Anti-Virus: You do not want to mess around with the validity of what you install within your PC and thus there is no doubt as to the unparalleled value of original OS and anti-virus software. Avoid free downloads and especially when you do not trust the website you have just visited for this purpose.
- Keep the Updates On: Getting the latest updates running for your PC can make a whole difference to your overall performance, as much as your safety on the web. Keep your OS up to date and get the necessary upgrades for your anti-virus software.
- Visit Secure Websites: It is a great rule to try and focus on websites that are https, meaning that they are secured for you to navigate. Websites that seem fishy should be kept out of reach. Pay attention to gambling sites and sites that include adult material.
- Safeguard Personal Data: It is probably best for you to avoid keeping personal information and important files in plain sight on your PC. Instead, you can store them properly using a virtual machine or even keeping everything encrypted in cloud services.
You need to be careful when installing a wi-fi home network. It is a pity to place the wireless router in corners, since in this way you are bound to miss out on a large percentage of the signal that it offers. Instead, the ideal place for you to have the router installed would be in the middle of the room. What is more, the router ought to be protected using WEP 2.0 algorithm and the password should ideally include 25 digits. As you can imagine, this is of primary importance for avoiding the possibility of invading your home network and stealing not only wireless Internet, but also personal info of yours!
Major social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, might offer you innumerable opportunities to boost your social life, but they ought to be regarded as potential bombs full of threats! Let’s see some tips for better online privacy on Facebook and other social networks to escape from Cyber attacks that apply here, shall we?
- Beware of Friends: Well, it is a fact that most people desire adding friends on Facebook and everywhere else virtually. Having more friends means that you are sociable and that you have got a lot of people who want to interact with you. Still, if you see friend requests out of the blue and the person trying to befriend you could not have possibly met you in real life, it is best for you to decline this friendship! As a minimum method for narrowing down your circles, you should only accept friends of your friends online.
- Do Not Click on Links: Many of you must have heard about Facebook viruses that have been linked with private messages and links to other phishing sites. Do not click on such links and especially if the way your “friend” urges you to do so seems suspicious.
- Think before Sharing: Do not add weaponry to the hostile intruders of social media, because they can harm you irreparably! Before sharing personal information, make sure that you have set the proper privacy measurements that allow you to stay under the radar.
When it comes to password, you should be meticulous towards keeping safe from cyberattacks. There are some simple and yet highly effective guidelines, which you ought to follow to the slightest detail:
- Do not Use the Same Password on Different Accounts
- Do not Use Passwords Including Personal Info of Yours
- Prefer Two-Factor Authentication, When Possible
- Do not Store Passwords Unencrypted and In Plain Sight
- Use Platforms Generating and Storing Hard to Guess Passwords
- Use Combinations of Letters, Symbols and Numbers
- Avoid Writing Down Passwords When Using Wi-Fi Internet and Public PCs
- Always Check for HTTPS, prior to Using Passwords
- Alter Your Passwords Regularly
- Do Not Share Passwords with Anyone
Safety with VPN
Virtual Private Network is an essential part of how to keep safe from cyberattacks. Instead of giving away your personal information, a VPN account allows you to tunnel your connection to the web via a different route. So, rather than having your IP address out in the open and waiting for the right hacker to reveal, you can make use of the benefits of VPN services and hide behind a different mask! The whole process of signing up for a VPN service provider is pretty simple and easy to complete. Of course, there are both free and premium VPN services, but we would definitely advise you to spend some extra money and avoid any problems and interruptions throughout the services provided. Here’s how you can subscribe to a VPN provider:
- You search for the pros and cons, so that you can narrow down your options.
- Once you have found the perfect VPN, you sign up for its plan.
- You download the respective application that is required for your device.
- You switch the VPN on and you connect via one of its servers.
- You reap the benefits of anonymity and privacy online!
If you are meticulous as to the tips that we have provided to you above, it is certain that you are going to enjoy optimized security and no actual risk of suffering from any sort of online attack! Always keep in mind that the web is a great place for you to be, but this does not mean that you do not have to take all the required precautions!