Because Hulu is not licensed to offer streaming services in other countries, the popular streaming website is only available in the United States. The user’s IP address—a digital identifier that shows websites the location the streamer is connecting from—is how Hulu identifies the location, thus restricting viewers outside the U.S. With a VPN, users can obtain a new IP address assigned to one of the servers in various countries. Hulu will identify the user as located within the broadcasting area and allow the individual to view regular streaming accounts without restriction. Using a VPN with Hulu is also a great way to securely and anonymously stream other platforms like Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video. However, because Hulu knows some users utilize VPNs to get around content geo-restrictions, Hulu regularly updates the website’s ability to identify and block VPN IP addresses. Users should get a VPN that won’t be detected to avoid the inconvenience of using a program that does not work with the platform.
The only way to watch Hulu outside the U.S. is through a VPN. The steps for unblocking the site using a VPN are given below.
- Research and choose the best VPN for Hulu.
- Install the VPN on your device.
- Sign in to your account.
- Connect to the country you need to unblock Hulu.
- Go to Hulu on your browser or open the Hulu app on your phone or PC.
1. Research and Choose the Best VPN for Hulu
The things to look out for when researching VPNs for Hulu are given below.
- Consider VPNs that provide a large number of servers in the U.S.
- Find a VPN that does not keep logs of user activity. This will protect the user’s identity if the VPN is ever required to turn over logs for legal actions.
- The best VPN must have fast servers in the U.S. to stream Hulu content without any issues or slowdowns.
- Always choose a VPN with secure encryption and protocols.
- Fast and reliable customer support is also needed when the user has questions about using the VPN.
- Another important factor is whether the VPN is guaranteed to work with Hulu.
- Look for VPNs that offer a money-back guarantee if users aren’t satisfied.
- Find a VPN that offers unlimited bandwidth to stream Hulu content without any issues or interruptions.
- Consider the pricing plan. Paid VPNs are always better, as many free VPNs sell users’ data to advertisers for revenue.
2. Install the VPN on Your Device
First, the user will need to download and install the VPN, as described below.
- Download the VPN app from the service’s website.
- Install the VPN software on the device.
- Open the app and sign up for an account if the user hasn’t already done so.
3. Sign In to Your Account
Next, sign in to the account using the steps below.
- Enter the login credentials.
- Enter the password to confirm the login.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the signin process.
4. Connect to the Country You Need to Unblock Hulu
Follow the steps below to connect to a server in a country where Hulu is available, namely the U.S.
- Select the VPN server from the list that is displayed.
- Connect to the U.S.-based IP address provided by the VPN.
5. Go to Hulu on Your Browser or Open the Hulu App on Your Phone or PC
The final steps are given below.
- Go to Hulu.com.
- Open the Hulu app on the phone or PC.
- Wait for the VPN connection to be established and watch Hulu content.
What Is the Best VPN to Use to Watch Hulu Outside the US?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Hulu. With ExpressVPN, users can watch Hulu on different devices and bypass Hulu’s geoblocking. The software also has fast servers in the U.S. and other locations and offers high-level encryption. ExpressVPN is a fast and secure VPN service, making the program perfect for streaming. This VPN also provides a straightforward user interface and is compatible with most devices. ExpressVPN also offers top-notch customer support and 24/7 live chat support and doesn’t have any bandwidth limitations or restrictions.
As the best VPN for Hulu, ExpressVPN is a big player in the business and boasts excellent protection capabilities, in addition to the program’s large network of over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Users can watch ABC, NBC and other streaming services outside the U.S. without technical issues with the optimized servers.
This is important:Furthermore, ExpressVPN offers excellent security, consisting of AES 256-bit encryption, HA 512-bit authentication encryption, ChaCha20/Poly1305 encryption, IKEv2, OpenVPN and Lightway (ExpressVPN’s proprietary protocol). In addition, the program provides a kill switch, split tunneling, RAM-only servers, an auto-connect button and country updates to alert VPN users when servers are down.
With MediaStreamer DNS, users can view geographically restricted material anywhere. The VPN allows Ultra HD streaming, guaranteeing a seamless and smooth viewing experience. ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer is an excellent alternative for streaming if the user’s device doesn’t support VPN natively. However, users need to register IP addresses on the ExpressVPN website to successfully use MediaStreamer.
Is Hulu Available Outside the US?
Hulu is currently available in the U.S. only. Hulu content is restricted by copyright laws, distribution rights and geo-restrictions. The viewer will need a VPN and a U.S. IP address to bypass all restrictions. A VPN will help access Hulu content anywhere in the world.
Is It Illegal to Use a VPN to Watch Hulu?
No, it is not illegal to use a VPN to watch Hulu, generally. Using a VPN to watch Hulu is legal as long as the VPN is legal in the user’s location. VPNs are subject to different laws in different countries. While a VPN is legal, users should avoid breaking the law anonymously because one can get in trouble when identified, especially in countries with robust censorship measures, such as China and Russia.
What to Do When a VPN Is Blocked?
Users should choose the right circumvention technique to overcome VPN blocking depending on the type of firewall or service being blocked. VPN providers have intricate workarounds to circumvent nearly every technique firewalls and websites use to identify VPN traffic to prevent VPN blockades.
When a VPN is blocked, users can use different techniques to unblock the VPN. Switching the server or IP address is one of the remedies for unblocking a VPN. Another method is employing a different protocol to connect to the same server—for instance, OpenVPN over TCP port 443 instead of OpenVPN over UDP port 1194. Using obfuscation (stealth protocols) can also help users bypass VPN blocking, as the feature will hide the user’s traffic from the firewall. Some VPN providers offer obfuscation as a default setting. Getting a dedicated IP address could bypass VPN blocking.
Pro Tip:The other technique that can help users when VPN is blocked is changing DNS settings. This can be done through services such as OpenDNS or Google DNS, which are free and easy to use. Finally, using a proxy server or a proxy application (such as Hotspot Shield) that hides the user’s original IP address and routes all traffic through the proxy server can be a remedy for a blocked VPN.
Is There Another Way to Watch Hulu Outside the US with a VPN?
Yes, there is another way to watch Hulu outside the U.S.: Smart DNS, a service that hides the user’s original IP address.
Using a VPN with a SmartDNS service is one of the most secure ways to watch Hulu outside the U.S. However, when using a VPN with a SmartDNS service, the user may need to choose between speed and security.