Pop up windows can be truly irritating, especially when you are in the middle of an important task online – and they keep on getting in the way. Although some pop up windows might contain important pieces of information, it is the rule of thumb that most of them are not to your benefit and do not add anything to your online user experience.
They can even ask for personal information and they might even try to harm your computer to a certain extent. Including malware and phishing attempts, you know better than to click on what is requested of you within these pop up windows. Nevertheless, they continue on being annoying and making their way to your browser on a regular basis.
Can something be done for them to stop popping up, as their name suggests? Can you do something on your browser or is there any pop up blocker that you can put into effect and improve your web surfing? Well, it is up to you to handle the pop up windows in the most effective manner and come up with the solutions that offer you the ultimate benefits when you browse next time.
We know that this is a problem that has been bothering many Internet users, and we have though it prudent to gather the 5 best free pop up blockers for Windows, for you to enjoy! Still, let’s get started with what you can do with your browser prior to installing these pop up blockers.
Pop Up Windows and Browsers
According to the exact browser that you use, there are some steps that you ought to follow for keeping pop up windows at bay. These steps have to do with the proper settings that you need to adjust, in avoidance of these frustrating windows popped up on the screen from time to time and making you go crazy. Let’s have a look at how you can adjust these settings to the most popular browsers used:
- Internet Explorer: You click on the Tools button and then you pick the Internet Options. At the Privacy tab, you check on the Turn on pop up blocker box and you are done! Alternatively, you head to Settings and you spot the Blocking level at the pop up blocker settings. If it is set to medium, you had better place it at the highest level, just to be sure!
- Mozilla Firefox: You click on the Firefox button and then you go to Options and Content panel. There is an option that refers to blocking pop up windows and you need to check the respective box. That’s it!
- Google Chrome: You head to Options and then Settings, in order to click on the option of showing advanced settings. Upon finding content settings, you choose to allow no pop up windows whatsoever and you are fine!
Of course, if you are interested in the top-notch pop up blocker, you need to dig deeper than the settings of your browser. If you do not know what a pop up blocker actually is, it includes all software and applications aiming at preventing the appearance of pop up windows from your browser. This can come in really handy as you can imagine, so let’s go on with the best free pop up blockers within your reach:
- Pop Up Stopper: Pop Up Stopper Free Edition is released by Panicware and it supports Internet Explorer, Netscape and Mozilla Firefox. It runs on any version of Windows, including Windows 7 and 8, XP and Vista. Flash and Java can be blocked with the Pop Up Stopper.
- Maxthon: Maxthon has been around since 2003, with its headquarters situated in San Francisco, California. Besides running on Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit and 64bit, as well as Windows 8, it is also compatible with Mac, iOS and Android.
- Microsoft Security Essentials: This blocker is only suitable for Windows, including Windows XP/Vista, Windows 7 32bit and 64bit. When it comes to Windows 8/RT, Microsoft Security Essentials can be found in Windows Defender. These essentials also include malware protection.
- Avant Browser: Avant browser is another freeware and it features a black list, where you can block any specific pop up window you want. As the title suggests, Avant browser runs on Windows and particularly includes versions of Windows 98/2000/ME/XP/Vista/7/8.
- Green Browser: Last name on the list of pop up blockers that are offered for free and we find Green Browser. It is fully compatible with Windows OS, meaning that it runs on any version of the Operating System equally efficiently and it contains an ad filter, besides the pop-up blocker.
These are the 5 best programs you can use to block the annoying pop ups on all versions of Windows that can be found on the web for free. You can go ahead with choosing the most suitable option for you and you can test them, in order to figure out which one truly does the trick for your Windows running PC. Make sure that you follow the instructions as to their download and installation correctly, and also, please do not miss out on the opportunity to share your experiences with us.
We would be really pleased to find out how you have come up with a solid remedy against pop up windows. Additionally, we would be particularly happy to know which tool has been proven most effective as a pop up blocker for Windows 7 and Windows 8!
Top-right Image: By BotCrawl (http://botcrawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Pop-up-Advertisements.jpg)