Cloud computing has become a huge trend online, since remote servers receive incredible amounts of data on a daily basis for smooth accessibility and storage. In order to make the most out of the services provided, a lot of companies reach out to such methods of storing and remotely accessing data and there are substantial advantages related to this method. Of course, nobody can deny that progress is not beneficial and nowadays companies pride themselves in being able to use up a lot of space without any delay or fail whatsoever.
This is an inexpensive and highly convenient method that has been put into effect over the past few years, with remarkable success rates. Research has shown that CEOs and well esteemed professionals regard cloud computing as a key element to the growth of their business, with a distinctive preference towards private cloud computing. Apparently, based on the budget and the necessities of every single company, there are public and private, as well as hybrid clouds that can be used.
However tempting it might be for companies to allow their exponential growth via the use of cloud computing, there are still several cloud computing issues and fears that hold them back from investing fully towards such an innovative form of storage and remote control of data online. Below, we are going to display the top 10 problems faced by cloud computing and try to shed some light into this mystery!
Top 10 Cloud Computing Concerns to Consider
- Data Protection: This definitely is a reasonable fear of various companies, prior to choosing a cloud computing service provider. According to the importance of data stored in the cloud, you need to make sure that everything is kept encrypted and that you use the level of security that covers every single aspect of protection. In other words, if you are interested in storing top classified documents, private clouding is the best option for you to go for. Public cloud can lead to unauthorized leakage. Of course, selecting a reputed service provider is of the essence here.
- Secure Software Interfaces and APIs: There is a lot of debate as to whether or not the service provider that you have chosen uses strong and impenetrable software interfaces and APIs. If you are not certain of the quality and level of security regarding such service provider, gather all the information that will guarantee no weak points throughout the process of storage, sharing and access of your data. Otherwise, there are many risks that you should not take.
- User Access Control: Another cloud computing risk is that of employees from the service provider accessing information and files that should be out of reach. Indeed, there are many professionals who feel that there is no control over the accessibility level of every single employee of the cloud company. Besides checking twice as to which data you are going to store in the cloud, you should ask for further information as to the staff that will have access to your stored files – and the extent of this access.
- Performance and Uptime: Among the greatest challenges involved in cloud computing, we find the aspects of performance and uptime. It can be really frustrating to watch your website fail and not be up and running, as something like that can lead to grave consequences. However, you need to make sure that none of the consequences you are dealing with has to do with your own blame and your own control. What is more, companies like Netflix have managed to cope with the failing instances without putting that in display for users to experience. They have used Chaos Monkey, in order to successfully make it through the storm without casualties and without letting their subscribers down.
- Data Separation: If you are concerned about the compartmentalization of the server you are using, you should find out more as to how the data of yours is encrypted and kept out of reach by other customers using the very same cloud based server. This is yet another one of the cloud computing mysteries that ought to be brought to light, so that all the companies know in advance what they are paying for and how exposed their data is going to be.
- Safe and Secured Data Sharing: You ought to ensure that all the data of yours is channeled safely, while being shared. The proper encryption and the avoidance of connecting to your provider through a URL that is in the form of “https” will help you eliminate any risk concerning data sharing. The cloud service provider will certainly have advanced encryption protocols, which you can ask for and gather information about.
- Authentication and Authorization: The authentication and authorization system used by the provider should not only be robust, but also highly flexible and efficient. Unless you are ready to leave the security aspect of your data to chance, you need to find out a service provider that manages these issues properly.
- Security of Apps: In general, the application that is stored in the cloud becomes more exposed than it would be otherwise. In avoidance of such negative consequences, it is best advised to restructure the application for cloud computing purposes – if of course such action is possible. Both input and output have to be secured, while data encryption is of paramount importance in this case as well.
- No Security Visibility and Risk Awareness: In order to balance the lack of security visibility and risk awareness that can be the result of moving to the cloud, you have to install the proper tools for your data. These tools will inform you of any malicious threat or danger of compromise and therefore you will eliminate the risk that comes with sharing a server with others and not knowing to which extent you jeopardize your data.
- Loss of Control: Last but not least among the cloud computing risks that alarm many businesses is the loss of control. It is a different thing to know that you are fully in charge of the hardware and software of the storage device you use for your data and it is an entirely different thing to acknowledge that someone else has got such power over your own data. If however the service provider you choose is well established and known for its integrity, there is no reason for you to lose your sleep.
In order to overcome the fear of the cloud, it is imperative that we dig deeper and learn more information as to how it works and what it can do for us. Knowledge is always the answer, when it comes to fearing of something.
After having read through the top cloud computing mysteries and the risks that can be taken, you can balance the pros and cons before deciding if this is the ultimate solution for you and your company. Feel free to comment on the quality of cloud computing and its insuperable importance nowadays!
Top-right Image: By OpenClips / Pixabay (http://pixabay.com/en/cloud-computing-future-internet-158481/)
Latest posts by Ali Qamar (see all)
- Instant Messaging and Threats Related to Identity Theft Online - 15 June 2016 8:25 AM
- Mark Zuckerberg Accounts’ Hacks Reveal a Fundamental Security Error - 10 June 2016 11:06 AM
- Russian Apps Raise Concerns over Privacy - 8 June 2016 10:15 AM