We totally sympathize with people who want to know how to install a VPN on Roku.
After all, Roku has done extremely well in developing and selling streaming sticks along with streaming boxes that provide users with complete and comprehensive access to a practically unlimited amount of high-quality content.
The content that users can watch via the official Roku streaming device comes to them in the form of TV channels.
And Roku has a whole library of them.
Of course, the good news ends with people who access who access Roku while living in the US.
In other words, Roku users living in countries such as,
- The United Kingdom
actually, do not have complete access to everything that Roku has to offer to users.
Even more precisely, we want to let you know that Roku blocks lots of channels for users who are not living in the US.
But that’s not the main problem with Roku.
The main problem with Roku is that unlike other streaming devices such as,
- Amazon FireStick
- Apple TV
Roku does not allow Roku users to go ahead and install a VPN service on its streaming device.
And no, you can’t install a Smart DNS on Roku either.
With that said, we have a total of three workarounds for you which will enable you to form a VPN connection while you are streaming content from Roku.
We will try our best to explain each of the methods in the guide that we will elaborate on more below.
Best VPN for Roku in the world right now
While we would love to recommend you a single best VPN for Roku such as IPVanish or Nord VPN or ExpressVPN or BulletVPN or Windscribe, the simple fact is that it is hard to do so.
Each VPN service has its strong points when it comes to working with Roku.
Good VPN service providers such as ExpressVPN and others provide users with DNS codes that the user can directly on his/her WiFi router.
It is also true that most of the top VPN service providers allow users to unblock US Netflix as well.
In order to clear up your confusion, we recommend that you read our best VPN service provider guide.
Now, let’s move on to the part about how to install a VPN on Roku.
How to install VPN on Roku
Now, the thing you need to understand here is that you will not find a VPN service that offers a VPN client which would run on Roku.
As many models and versions, Roku offers to users, none of them are compatible with VPN services.
Hence, there is no direct way in which you can install VPN on Roku.
And as mentioned before, currently there is no way for users to configure a smart DNS proxy service on Roku either.
With that said, it is also true that there are three alternative ways in which you can try to bypass all the VPN restrictions on Roku.
Those three ways are,
- First, set up a VPN on your WiFi router
- Install a VPN service on your Mac or PC and then use the internet connection of the PC or the Mac as a WiFi internet Hotspot.
- The last option is to use a VPN service which also offers a packaged Smart DNS proxy.
How to install VPN on Roku via WiFi router
The thing you need to understand here about a WiFi router is that once you have installed a VPN on WiFi router you can actually connect all of your internet-enabled devices on that very same WiFi router.
That includes, devices such as Roku.
So with just one WiFi router that has VPN on it you can potentially share its own VPN-protected internet connection with an unlimited number of devices.
While that is all great and everything, the one thing that you need to take care of here is that you can’t really install a VPN service on any WiFi router that you like.
There are very specific routers that support the installation of a VPN service.
If you want to install a VPN service on your router then you will need to make sure that your router is either Tomato-based or DD-WRT-based.
For those who do not know which one they have, they should consult the official website of the manufacturer of their router device.
If you do not have a DD-WRT router or a Tomato router, you will have no other choice but to purchase a brand new WiFi router.
That can get expensive.
But in the long run, your new VPN router would not only save you a good amount of error but also some money.
One other point that we should have perhaps mentioned earlier is that, setting up a thing called virtual WiFi router on your Mac or PC may be enough to give you a moderately powerful headache.
How to install a VPN on Roku: The method in which you conjure a virtual router
In the cases where you want a VPN on Roku, you have another method in which you only have to download and then install a VPN app on your Mac or PC.
After that, you need to form a connection with a VPN server via the VPN app.
As the finishing step, you have to first turn your own Mac or PC into a WiFi virtual router of your own.
And then you can connect any of your Roku devices to the virtual router.
How to share a VPN connection on Mac with a Roku device
Here are the steps that you need to follow in order.
- Turn on your Mac machine and then make your way to the menu that says System Preferences.
After that, you need to perform a click on the option that says Sharing.
- When you are inside the Sharing menu, you need to click on the option that says Internet Sharing which appears on the panel on the left-hand side.
Once you do that, you should see the Internet Sharing options appearing on the right-hand corner of the shown screen.
From there you need to set some settings.
First, you need to set the share VPN connection from: the newly created L2TP VPN connection.
Then you need to change the available ‘to machines using’ option to the box for those using WiFi.
- When that is done you must choose the item that says WiFi Options.
After that, you should enter details such as,
Your Network Name (this is where you need to select an appropriate network name).
Also, select the Channel option and leave it to the default value.
When that is done, you need to change the security option to WPA2 Personal.
Next, you need to choose a strong password in the Password field.
After that, you need to take a look at the Verify field and re-enter your previously chosen password.
- With what out of the way, you need to click on the option that says OK.
- And then from the Sharing menu, you should check the options box which appears right next to the text Internet Sharing.
Once you do that you should have no problems in seeing a prompt which asks you to turn on the option of Internet Sharing.
- After that, you need to click the option that says Start.
- Then, when you have ensured that you have successfully activated the Internet Sharing option, you should see a green light appearing right next to a text that says “Internet Sharing: On.
- The next step is to turn on the available Roku device.
- Once that is done, you need to go to the official home screen of Roku.
The next bit involves you selecting the option Settings and then Network and then Wireless (Wi-Fi).
Then you should enable the option that says Set up new WiFi Connection.
- Now all that is left is for you to form a connection with the WiFi network that you have managed to create for your Mac machine.
How to share a VPN connection on PC with Roku
These are the steps that you need to take.
- Turn on your PC and then press the buttons Windows + S.
This should launch the search bar.
- Once that is done, you need to type the text cmd in order to make your operating system bring up the option of Command Prompt.
When you see it you need to perform a right-click on it.
After that, you must select the option that says Run as administrator.
- With that out of the way, you should type this text exactly as we have soon you:
Netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD.
- Once you have finished the previous step, you should try to give your virtual router a name.
In order to do that you need to set two values which are as follows,
SSID = [this is where you need to select a name for the new network]
Key = [this is where you need to provide a password for the new network]
- Then you need to hit the option that says Enter.
- And then you should have no problems in seeing the message that says,
The user’s key passphrase belonging to the newly created hosted network has undergone a successful change.
And that the SSID of the newly created hosted network has undergone a successful change.
And that the newly created hosted network mode is now set to allow.
- When you want to initiate your virtual WiFi router, you need to type up the following text in your operating system’s command prompt,
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- Now you need to hit the button that says Enter.
- After that we want you to check if the virtual router has started itself successfully.
If it has indeed started successfully you should see a new message that tells you that the newly hosted network has started.
- When that is done, you need to go to the option that says Open Network and Sharing Center.
You can do that by performing a right-click on your WiFi icon which appears in the bottom-right corner of the Windows screen.
- After that, we want you to go to the option that says Change Adapter Settings.
- When that is done, we want you to perform a right-click on the previously created VPN connection.
Then you need to make your way to Properties.
- After that, we need you to click on the tab that says Sharing.
Once that is done, you need to check that box which appears in the space next to the text that mentions Allow Other Network users (that is you, and anyone else who makes use of your computer machine) to connect through the machine’s internet connection.
With that done, we want you to check the box which appears next to the option that says “Allow other users on the network to have control over or disable the new shared Internet connection.”
Now, you need to go under the tab that says Home Network Connection.
And then choose the option or the connection that you essentially created by following the previous steps.
- Then you need to click the option that says OK.
- And then you need to turn on the option that says Roku.
- After that, you need to make your way to the home screen of Roku and then from there, you need to select the option that says Settings.
When that is done, you need to hit the option that says Network.
And when you have completed that step, you should click on Wireless (Wi-Fi).
After that, you should choose the option that says Set Up New WiFi Internet Connection.
- The last step is to form a connection with your WiFi network that you just had to create on your machine running on Microsoft Windows.
How to install a VPN on Roku with the help of a Smart DNS proxy
Some might feel that statement contradicts itself.
But we are here to tell you that it does not.
We are fairly aware of the fact that many readers would not want to take the steps that we have mentioned above.
For some, these steps are a bit too complicated.
In that case, what you can do is make use of the option of Smart DNS proxy services.
If you do decide to go down this route, we want you to know that you can actually configure the Smart DNS service directly on your WiFi router.
And you can do that without having any need of changing the settings page either on your Mac or PC.
All that you have to do now is to make sure that you have signed up for the services of a VPN service that is offering a free Smart DNS proxy service along with its VPN service.
Some of such services include ExpressVPN and StrongVPN.
If you again want to go the way of the alternative option, then you should give a try out to other Smart DNS proxy services such as Unlocator.
Our research shows that Unlocator will offer you nothing that will excite you.
But often enough, services such as Unlocator offer users a Smart DNS proxy service which comes with a free seven-days usage trial.
And while it is true that the majority of WiFi routers allow users to change their DNS settings, we cannot hide the fact that a good portion of them simply do not.
Generally speaking, if you have bought a WiFi router that comes from manufacturers like,
then you should be able to find the supporting manual for more DNS configuration.
It is here that we feel a need to tell you that if you happen to own a WiFi router that you got from your internet service provider, then you will probably have to change the DNS settings page on the modem.
If that is indeed the case, then you will definitely need to purchase a WiFI router that acts as the secondary WiFi router.
It should have no problems in allowing you to make changes to your DNS settings.
If you have followed along nicely, then know that you can use a good Ethernet cable to connect your modem’s LAN port with the WAN port of your secondary router.
In the end, all that you will need to do is to connect the secondary WiFi router and your Roku device.
How to get a US Roku account.
You probably do not us to tell you that if you want to take full advantage of your Roku device, you need to get your hand on American apps.
And if you want that, then you really have no other option but to create a US Roku account.
Once you get that, you will need to install all the great American apps available on Roku such as,
- ABC Go
- NBC Sports
- HBO GO
- And probably many other US Channels.
All you need to do right now is to first create a US Roku account.
However, if you already happen to have a US Roku account you need not to create a brand new US Roku account.
- First, you need to sign up for a good VPN service provider and then connect to a VPN server in America.
- Then you need to make your way to the website that goes by the name of https://my.roku.com/index.
After that we want you to click on the option that says Create account.
- In the next step, we want you to fill out some of the required information on the screen and then hit the option that says Continue.
- After that, you must select a PIN and then move forward to clicking on Continue.
- Once you reach the next page, the screen is going to ask you to pick from a total of two payment options such as a Credit Card and/or PayPal.
- We suggest that you should go with the option of PayPal if you have already signed up for an official Paypal account.
Why do we say that?
We say that because we know that your PayPal country is never going to affect the country of your official Roku account.
However, you will have to make sure that you make use of a valid US address in order to create your new American official Roku account.
There are lots of Roku users who choose California as their state of choice and 90210 as their preferred zip code.
- Also, you should know that if you finally end up making use of your Credit Card as your primary means of payment then you will have to make use of your original street address which you initially associated with the credit card that you are using now.
When that is done, you will have to convert that given postal code into a legitimate and valid zip code.
Then, we want you to keep a note of the City that is associated with the valid zip code since the official setup for the Roku account will require that of you.
- If you want to go ahead and create a completely valid zip code then you need to take some digits off from your original postcode.
So, just to take an example, let’s assume for a second that your postal code is M1Z4L3.
In that case, the postal code would become something like 143.
Then, you need to add some zeros directly to the end of this number if you see that this new number if less than a total of five digits in its length.
Hence, the postal code that was once M1Z4L3 and then became 143 would now become the zip code number 14300.
- By this time you should have managed to finalize your official American Roku account.
Now we need you to go ahead and reset the Roku box or streaming device that you have back to its factory settings.
In order to do that you will first have to go to the home screen of Roku and then select the option Settings and then factory reset.
Then simply follow the instructions on the screen and you are done.
- The final step is to make use of the new American Roku account on your new or old Roku device.
Latest posts by Zohair (see all)
- How to watch the ICC World Cup in 2019 online and live - 24 March 2019 8:02 PM
- How to block unwanted text messages on iPhone and Android - 23 March 2019 2:37 AM
- How to install FilmOn on Kodi in 2019 - 19 March 2019 11:12 PM